View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2008, 10:45
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Blimey, this is one way of complicating one of the simplest things"

----It's not simple.

"I couldn't care what a book says. Chuck has it nailed."

---You should ...and he doesn't.

"Don't overcomplicate things, unless you are designing the aircraft from scratch, just do whatever you need to do to make the a/c respond how you want it to."

---They are complicated. How do you know what it is you need to "do" to make the aircraft respond the way you want? Intuition ?...say along the lines of slow speed, ground coming up, pull harder on the stick...type intuition.

"Rocket science it ain't."

---Science yes ...rockets...correct at no stage were rockets mentioned.

TIM
Getting an aircraft into, maintaining and getting out of a balanced turn is easy. If it is a problem, then someone has poor technique and was taught badly and/or has lazy feet.

When I'm flying I don't think about what the a/c is doing, I just move my hands and feet and magically the machine responds exactly how I want it to. That doesn't change whether I'm flying a helicopter, medium jet, aerobatic taildragger or simple spamcan.

I'm not always perfect, but going into enormous depth about the interrelation between controls is something I understand, but don't think about when I'm flying. I've been teaching it for years, but when flying things like "how much rudder do I need" should be automatic. I don't spend my life staring at the balance ball, after a while my patented inbuilt bumometer lets me know if the thing is in balance. Admittedly it can get confused when I've had a real hamfisted twonk whilst trying to teach them aeros, but 99.99% of the time it is fine.

Aircraft are simple. Pull back houses get smaller. Push forward they get bigger. If you push forward or backwards for long enough they get bigger and smaller of their own accord.....................

Making things overly complex for no real reason is a disease of many PPL's and inexperienced pilots. Don't make life difficult for yourself. Get up there and have fun, you'll soon find that discussions like this seem trivial.