PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of rudder in turns
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2008, 10:43
DavidHoul52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But what exactly do you mean by that?
What I meant was if you continue to apply the same amount of rudder as when you rolled into the turn. That's all I'm getting at. I was previously keeping the same amount of rudder throughout the turn, neglecting to watch the ball because I didn't expect it to change (and had been never pointed out in training). As a number of posts here confirm this was incorrect. I just wonder how many low hour PPLs like me realise this?

I thought someone couldn't resist the chance to pontify on the misuse of Flight Sim! Yes I know all that. My point was that it's easily demonstrated in Flight Sim - I didn't "discover" it in Flight Sim. (doh)

I know those of you who have millions of hours can trim off a steep turn and show off going round in tight circles all day but for the rest of us it's still a challenge to keep absolutely level even though we have done it many times. Too much rudder when little or none is needed makes the exercise much more difficult and your confidence drops (as does the aircraft).

Also too much rudder means too much back pressure to compensate with accompanying high angle of attack. Little bit dangerous maybe?

I still think its a good thing to keep in mind and if you guys think its just foolishness I'll just keep it to myself thank you.

I think most of the posters here have missed the point entirely. But never mind...

Last edited by DavidHoul52; 16th Nov 2008 at 10:54.