PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad weather accidents and GPS
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2008, 09:59
JTobias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Levo

Why is 5 hours instrument training on foggles a waste of time?
Firstly, 5 hours training is never a waste of time - so I'll qualify my statement.

If 5 hours instrument training on foggles is supposed to be some form of appreciation of flying in IMC i.e. in cloud, then it simply isn't. It does not in any way prepare a pilot for entering zero visibilty conditions. The physcologicial impact isn't there and nor are the changes in actual flight characteristics (updraughts/downdraughts, turbulence etc).

The foggles (certainly the type typically in use for training) do not re-create the IMC environment. You still have the ability to obtain some form of visual reference with the outside world which then allows you to adjust your flying accordingly.

I have found myself in cloud and can categorically testify that it goes pear shaped rapid - and by that I mean in seconds. I fly fixed wing and rotary wing extensiveley as a PPL and the 5 hour instrument appreciation is simply not apropriate. It is more likeley to lead a recently qualified pilot into believeing that he has the ability to perform a 180 deg turn out of cloud if he finds himself in it inadvertantly.

Anyway, I think we've moved away from the original thread here, but suffice to say, that there simply is nowehere near enough encouragement for pilots to undertake regular "advanced" training.

There should be courses on bad weather appreciation, an IMC course, navigational aids, common emergencies, etc etc etc.

Nigel

Thanks for the agreement - I haven't read the other thread (I don't think) that seems to have been controversial, but I'm with you. There is room for introducing a mechanism for taking PPL's to the next stage of reduced visibility flying. Whether that be through a simulator or by flying it for real.

Helimutt

Sorry - I don't want a head to head with you, but Nigel's opinion and others is just as valid as yours. I believe that we should be able to take apropriateley experienced pilots into IMC conditions for training. After all, if I embark on a PPL of any sort, the first lesson usually involves flying the aircraft - so there is little difference. As long as the environment is controlled. Sorry, the fact that you fly 600 hours a year and/or you get paid to do it does not in any way mean what you are doing is OK. I drive every day of the week and thankfully I haven't had an RTA in many, many years - but it doesn't mean I'm a good driver. (I am though!! ) I also can't see anywhere that Nigel is advocating flying into cloud or that he's trying to exceed his limitations (certainly not from this thread) I think what he is pushing for is more opportunities, through training, to become a better pilot.

As for what JJ considers to be lunacy, it's best not to quote him. Ask him for his opinion!

Helimutt, absoluteley no offence or arrogance intended.

Safe flying

Joel

Last edited by JTobias; 16th Nov 2008 at 10:21.