PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad weather accidents and GPS
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2008, 18:40
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JTobias i totally agree with your comment re lack of training after ppl re flying into bad weather , precautionary landings etc most of us have learnt this by trial and error and sadly not all come out the other side of this process. Probably like you my first helicopter had no navaids at all so you had to use a map ( i did land near peoples gardens a couple of times and ask where exactly i was !!) but i am also guilty of jumping in all of a rush and setting of down that line on the screen without any idea of where the "low level " route would be , thereby sometimes making my life far more difficult . If i had looked at the map properly i would have seen that a route 10 miles to the west would have avoided the wooded hills
JJ good point but you are not advocating scrapping gps ....so what do YOU think ? I made a point , roundly condemned , in anothe r thread about more IR training .....not to go into that , but would you not think that at least one actual sorty into poor ( imc before you jump on me ) wx with a 180out of it , and a prec landing etc would be a useful exercise for all ppl,s ??