PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude at impact?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2002, 22:05
Pegasus77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubik,

After reading your post I felt I had to reply. Maybe you don't mean everything as you write it, but still....
I see you live in Germany as well, but I can only guess you don't work at the same company as I do; moreover I hope your license only allows you to fly anything smaller than a C152.

Captain Haynes and his crew were superprofessionals. They adapted to the situation in a very creative way, in the beginning days of CRM, and, as stated above, saved many lives. It is not normal for an airplane to operate without any hydraulics, and it is a miracle the crew managed to stay ahead of the situation and even found a way to steer the aircraft towards an airfield, with emergency services prepared for their arrival.

Sitting in the cockpit there may come some point where you have to admit that you cannot do anything anymore to save the aircraft. Realising such a thing and then sitting back, waiting to die, doesn't help anything IMHO. Above all others, captain Haynes showed where inventivity can save hundreds of lives, which according to the textbook should have been lost.

In the cockpit we're not the NTSB or similar. We do not have the amount of information which is available later on, after years of investigation. Therefore we might not always present the best solution possible, but we will present the best solution possible to think of in very little time.

Where you present in the cockpit of the crashed Concorde? Do you know what information was presented to the pilots? Do you have the mental capability of even guessing at what those pilots went through in their last minutes of their lives?
Offcourse, now knowing all the facts, it is easy for us to say, they MIGHT (!) have had better chances surviving, pulling the power back on the two remaining engines. But do you know for sure? Aren't you really guessing?

We are trained for 1000s of failures, all out of the book. The fun in flying is that not everything happens as written, and there our creativity, CRM and so on comes into play. That makes the job diverse and challenging.

I honestly think you are wrong in stating that in the Concorde-crash or in the Sioux-accident the pilots thought "we can do this". My humble guess is they fought for their airplane and their passengers lives with everything they could.

The moment you sit back and admit that everything is lost, you will die for sure. Why not try to make something out of it and do what you are there for?!

P77