PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of rudder in turns
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2008, 14:00
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steep turns.
I realise now that I have been fighting the rudder with back pressure. I would have realised this by watching the ball of course but one needs to be watching the horizon when doing
David

I think you are oversimplifying all the forces involved in a turn and increasing bank.

In any turn around a radius the tendency for the aircraft will be to skid that will show in the turn and slip.

As you bank the rising wing will create more lift, the descending wing less lift that will mean that you will require more pitch to maintain level flight and with that extra pitch more drag.

Applying rudder in level flight will cause a yaw and the nose to turn around the centre of the axis of that yaw that itself will cause one wing to slow and the other to speed up again causing the aircraft to initially pitch up which followed by an increase in drag will then cause the aircraft to pitch down for a set level of power.

The forces are complicated and will take someone with a better description of the aerodynamics and complexity involved other than to say you need to keep all the forces in balance and the use of all your controls including power to maintain a smooth level steep turn.

Pace