PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad weather accidents and GPS
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2008, 08:58
JTobias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning JJ

I can't remember the last time you started a post. Something must have been the catalyst!

As you know, like lots of pilots, I'm a big fan of GPS, and some of the one's I use have terrain, it doesnt mean though that pilot's should not regularly refer to their map. Mine is always close to hand and when I'm undertaking a new trip I study the landscape, route etc prior to departure to the point that "her indoors" takes the proverbial out of me. She thinks I'm a secret cartographer!

I think pushing on into poor wx is a seperate issue and comes down to experience, airmanship and regular training. I've undertaken lots of post PPL training (as you know!) with a lot of this focussed on bad weather operations. It still amazes me that there is very little "approved" post PPL training that can be done to teach pilots proper decision making - especially where weather is concerned.

On the basis that most of us without an IR should be flying in VMC, the simple rule should be if your visibility is reducing to a point that you are having to reduce your speed considerably, then maybe it's time to put it down somewhere! Maybe when your flying at 50% of your normal operating cruise (because of reducing vis), you should be landing - or some similiar equation.

Another element is also to do with a combination of factors. I recently attended the heli sfatey evening at leeds and was surprised at how many people were unsure of the "rules" regarding putting down in a field somewhere. Other pilots rarely ventured far from their local aerodrome and only a small number of people raised there hands out of many to acknowledge that they knew that the TAF & METAR formats were changing on 5th November.

The point I'm making is that some people fly heli's regularly, but may not be activeley involved, in the heli community. If they were, they might be more aware of lots of factors that would contribute to helicopter safety in general.

Finally, regarding night operations - I can't comment too much as I'm only half way through my night training, but one thing is clear to me. The 5 hours instrument appreciation training which is part of the PPL syllabus, and is done on foggles, is a complete waste of time.

By the way have you seen the new Garmin 695. Looks great!!!!!!

Joel