PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad weather accidents and GPS
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2008, 08:23
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
I think Jelly has it pretty much right.

Without GPS, you have to navigate by reference to visual features. In bad weather, you have to go lower (which substantially reduces your ability to use visual features), and the visibility gets much worse, which does ditto. You lose the ability to navigate visually long before you before you reach the stage where you are going to lose the visual references needed to be able to maintain stable flight, so without gps you will tend to turn back in good time. With gps you might continue, relying solely on the gps for navigation, until you lose all visual references and crash.

But I would not say this means we shouldn't have gps. GPS has many advantages. With any technology there come pitfalls as well as benefits, and the pitfalls have to be taken into account when you are flying. I say when YOU are flying because I mean its the individual's responsibility to use the equipment appropriately.

We invented cars, but cars can be driven down a motorway in thick fog at 90mph resulting in an accident. Does that mean we should ban cars? All we can do is to have good practice, rules and training (sadly lacking in the case of cars!). At least when you demolish your helicopter, its only your own vehicle that gets taken out, as opposed to the motorway scenario.

Are we as an industry doing our bit? When was the last time you reported someone who just appeared out of the mist hover taxying over the airfield boundary. Maybe they did their best and just got caught out on the exceptional day, or maybe they make a habit of it, in which case loss of licence / jail is better than dead passengers.

HC