PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad weather accidents and GPS
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2008, 08:16
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think JJ has a very valid point and he is not the only experienced pilot with an opinion like this, several have discussed this with me this year.

GPS gives you great positional awareness, not situational awareness. The big picture still matters but pilots now have a means of navigation which when it works is great. A sudden "No GPS position available" or worse still (in my opinion) DR caption in poor weather or while IMC can lead to an equally sudden huge increase in workload. I wonder (and intend trying to find out) how many accidents (or unheard of incidents) have occured due to pilots hitting direct to and blindly following the line because they didn't know any better towards rising ground and low cloud or poor visibilty. I suspect more than a few.

The GPS is great because if you are aware of what is ahead you don't need to look in at a chart at a point in the flight when you couldn't do so anyway if the vis is that poor. The next time you find yourself low and slow and following the GPS ask yourself what would I do now if it went off.

GS