PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salt in an already deep wound!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2008, 20:46
timzsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skippy - stop whingeing and do something about it! If don't want to or can't do anything about it get out of aviation. You need to wake and an smell the roses. Go look in the back of the latest FTN news. You will see that in 2006 the CAA issued over 1000 shiny new CPL(A)'s. How many of those people do you think have jobs now? And how many more have the school's churned out since.

At this moment in time you have low hours and you know precisely jack s**t about flying. A couple of winter seasons instructing and you might learn about de-icing an aircraft, flown a few instrument approaches for real, flown at night in marginal conditions in single engine pistons. Ever done an update to a set of Jepps? Whats the recommended minima for take off in a single engine piston as laid down in the UK AIP? Ever written the staff training section of a club flying order book? Get my drift?

I don't know a great deal more than you but I have spent the last 2 1/2 years working as a part time FI. With a little bit of experience the opportunity is now at hand for me to do some multi IFR flying. One thing leads to another in this game, but you have got to start somewhere and an FI in a 152 is no bad place.

It really does wind me up when I see people sitting here on PPRUNE moaning they spent all this money and there is no job for them! What did you expect was going to happen ? Someone was just gona walk up to you as you left the CAA building at Gatwick with your CPL in hand and say "here you are poor little thing come and fly my airbus".

Most of the people I have got to know over the past few years that are flying jets had to do between 1000-2000 hours in general aviation before they got their chance. Those that get jobs with 250 hours, even by going down the type rating route are still in the small minority.

This is the way it is in aviation, you start on the bottom of the ladder and you work your way up. Get used to it, get used to it fast, start flying and learning.

Finally, good luck.