PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ADSB
Thread: Merged: ADSB
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2008, 12:35
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
Oh !! Shock!! Oh!! Horror!! ---- Now I don't get the subsidy to solve the problem I don't have !!! ---- And nor does anybody else have.

Looks like I will be able to stick with my existing Mode S transponders for a while yet.

Seriously, a few of you ADS- Bophiles, or should that be ADS-B Tragics, in light of what was always going to be the most likely outcome, should now go back and read some of the saner and more logical of the JCP submissions (ASAC for one)----- or, perhaps, look at what FAA and Eurocontrol are actually planning with ADS-B ---- to use it as another tool in providing separation services ----- and not ( as has been almost the total concentration on these and related threads) as an aircraft to aircraft collision avoidance device.

I just love the argument going on, a few posting back, about where the money was going to come from, and ---- what if?? just possibly ??? all the cost savings from "radar" were very inflated (the NZ costs to upgrade exactly the same equipment is public information and in JCP submissions) and don't forget ----

Most of the ASA proposed cost saving came from pulling out ground based navaids (not "radar"), and that didn't and doesn't need ADS-B, just GPS with TSO C-145/146 chips.

Jabberjabber, have a look at the published figures for the number of Qantas, Jetstar, and Virgin aircraft that cannot be economically upgraded to even ADS-B OUT.

Jabber, old chap, perhaps the airlines did call the shots, because the great bulk of the present Australian airline fleet cannot be "economically" upgraded, (anything is possible, given the application of unlimited cubic dollars - a rather scarce commodity right now) so do you really think they (senior executive management --- not the low level office types who go to consultation meetings) were going to accept a "mandate" that rendered a substantial proportion of their fleet un-usable in Australian airspace.

Fantasyland mugged by reality probably just about describes the ADS-B outcome.

Tootle pip!!

PS:
Bob Murphie was quite correct, in the Virgin case, I challenge anybody to produce evidence that the Virgin board signed off on fitting ADS-B OUT to all their own aircraft, let alone pony up any subsidy. Did the mini-jets come already fitted ??

Ditto: QANTAS mainline.

By whatever accounting entries might have been used, the ASA major customers were going to pay.