PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground school or Distance learning?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2008, 10:50
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funnily enough, I have been thinking about this matter for the past couple of weeks, and have just started researching what I am going to do.

I'm now in the late stages of my PPL, hoping to go to the States next year to do some hour building and then commence study for my ATPL. The problem is that my full-time job has ruled out any full-time groundschool, and so the only option for me is distance learning. Have done a quick search on Proon and am gathering information so I can make the right decision but was just wanting to ask a couple of questions to clear things up:

1) Is it a requirement that during a distance-learning course there are classes at the school where attendance is mandatory? I was hoping that I would be able to do all studying myself at home in my own time, only having to travel for the exams. However, if this must be done then do be it. Bit of a pest due to getting time off work, but as needs must I suppose.

2) Are there any places in Scotland which provide ATPL distance-learning courses? From what I hear most people seem to go to Oxford, London, Bournemouth etc. but I haven't heard anything about ATPL studies "Up North" so to speak.

As always I'd appreciate any other advice/tips etc.

Cheers

Smithy