PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Austrian Airlines
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2008, 09:21
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's news...

DeutscheWelle, the German equivalent of the BBC Overseas Service, just said that the Austrian government is debating debt forgiveness for Austrian. 900 million euros is a lot of debt, eh?

That will probably unleash some sort of debate in Brussels over whether that is allowed or not under the rules against subsidies. On the other hand, LH must have some sort of deal in place to avoid having an albatross hung around their necks. Not just debt forgiveness but being able to cut some of the staff must be on the cards, when that is such a political hot potato.

It's a real mess to see the European social safety net tangle the American de-regulation model, not that either one is the be-all and end-all.

It reminds me of some old buffer arguing that Africans were better under colonialism to read opinions that the airlines were better off under regualation but there is some truth to both these arguments. You have to wonder if the politicians are just following an ideology without thinking about practical consequences but in both cases there's no putting the genie back in the bottle now.

I feel that I might be better off never having pursued that airline career very far, the way things are going. Good luck to the guys caught in the mill.