PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Info for those (low-timers) seeking a job in Namibia
Old 14th Nov 2008, 02:47
three eighty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar
Helpful and informative post.

I worked in Namibia in the mid 90's and enjoyed my time there. I operated out of Swakopmund so couldn't help notice that you didn't mention the companies based in that town. Pleasure flights & Safaris and Atlantic air. This was some time ago so I don't know if these companies still exist but if they do, and conditions are still the same then they are also worth a shot.
I had a lot of fun living there and the flying was great fun. All C210. Mostly scenic flights down to Sosuss, Fish River Canyon, Skeleton Coast and some flights up to Etosha. It was a good hour building exercise and I found the Namibians to be very friendly and accomodating.
As for getting a job, initial contact via email was ok, but only to introduce myself and ask if I would be able to meet the company bosses when I made a fact finding trip up to Namibia. The best way is to go there and introduce yourself personally to try and secure a job for sometime in the future ie pilot leaving , tourist season etc. Don't expect to arrive and be flying a week later. I made a holiday out of it. On my way home, I hunted for a C210 and bought myself a rating. These aircraft are few and far between in SA and this was the most difficult part of the whole exercise. Back home I then called the companies to tell them that I was now the proud owner of a C210 endorsed licence. This just served as a little reminder of my earlier visit. I then waited to hear from them. As it turned out, the phonecall wasn't long in coming.

Ask yourself this, As a prospective employer, would you employ someone via email, or someone that has taken the effort to come to Namibia and introduce themself to you personally.

Namibia back then was low time pilot friendly and where else could you get a job where you were expected to fly low level for most of the day.Later when you have moved onto bigger more advanced "computers" you will look back on Namibia flying with fondness.