PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA against ID Cards - TUC Congress
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2008, 02:19
Bruce Wayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call100, I do not normally extend such offers, as my time is rather limited, however, I would be happy to work in conjunction with other parties to produce a white paper on the subject.

Of course this has not been done, nor commissioned by anyone as yet. I have contact with a couple of shadow ministers that would likely have interest in such a document.

If this would prove interest please feel free to contact me by PM and we can exchange contact details.

It is interesting in respect of apathy towards the scheme, I would suggest a cursory look at the thread listing on this sit alone. this thread has garnered, to date, something just shy of 10,000 views, whereas debate and speculation over the Spain incident at Madrid has garnered some 661,000 views. The Ryanair bird-strike has garnered some 114,000 views.

In respect of being lucky to escape, I have lived on some three continents and about 5 countries. Aviation is a global business and as such it affords the ability to be based practically anywhere. Not so much as escaping but washing my hands of a country that allows itself to be administered by a government such as ours. True, no country is perfect however.

spannersatKL, FYI, your security and data is down to you to manage. my network is as secure as is possible, having been involved with network security issues that have involved Microsoft Research and Development, this is no small claim. There are certain back-doors written into operating systems that allow access to your computer for national security. Though you can limit what is available and what is not.

My network is 1024 bit encrypted as is everything outbound on my Internet connection. I also route through anonymous servers when i chose to and my hard drives are also encrypted. Paranoid? no just secure. You also need to learn about ports, and use a decent firewall and set it up properly. I have 4 firewalls between each of computers and the outside world, 2 software 2 hardware.

Again this is not paranoia, but security. when you understand how identity fraud is perpetrated, it is very easy to shut off as many possible areas of attack that can occur.

This of course leads back to my previous post on the issues of security of the ID scheme and the vulnerability of data.

Please do not take this as condescending, it is not directed at anyone in particular, but a general statement; Would you leave your car in a high crime area overnight, unlocked, no alarm and a laptop on the seat in full view. No? A laptop would cost what a couple of hundred pounds to replace. what would the loss of your identity data, personal and biometric data cost you?

It astounds me that so many people have sensitive data on their computers and yet are naive about security. Safe in the knowledge that something like Norton or McAffee antivrus will protect them.

This is not unlike the the government with a short sighted view over security. The people managing this scheme have no conception of how easy and how vulnerable it is and the potential damage that can occur short term and long term.

As I said before, Identity theft has been around for centuries, the reason for the quantity of routine occurrences today is that more and more personal data about individuals is held on computer, the more data, the easier it is access and the easier it is to use.