PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2008, 23:38
LHR27C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like flying BA having never had a problem with them (other than being late) but flatly refuse to have the heathrow experience again. even T5 is no better.
That's very subjective. Most people I know find T5 an absolute dream compared to the other terminals at LHR. The transfer experience versus a place like CDG is also much better.

Also in terms of being late, BA have vastly improved their punctuality levels since the move to T5. Baggage performance in terms of lost bags/1000 pax is better now than AF or KL.

My point over the last few posts has been that with the fares those airlines are charging hub operations are the only way forward.
Well, is that a criticism of BA/BMI or not? Certainly in the case of BA, trying to function as a legacy carrier and a loco at the same time is not going to work - they have a very strong position at LHR and will continue to make most of their money out of premium travel. Even in this economic climate there is a clear argument that BA are better protected focused around LHR than a low cost airline operating from the regions - at least they are posting a profit, compared to the likes of FR etc who are expecting to make losses.

You are absolutely right that the future for point to point services at MAN is low cost, as it is with most of the UK regions. Hence you won't see BA taking much part in it. But that shouldn't be a criticism of BA, they just operate a different business model.