PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salt in an already deep wound!
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2008, 23:05
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 170 Likes on 65 Posts
Thoughts about this crisis blowing over quickly are akin to the chillingly naive popularly spoken sentiment about WW2 that "it'll all be over by Christmas".

From 1990 to 1995 in the last serious recession there were virtually no jobs for wannabes. If you know and understand this historical fact you begin to understand why people like me have been so strenuous in efforts to warn people about training under debt. The latest spin being spun is that this recession will be entered quickly but over quickly. This won't happen. It will be deep and it will be long and just like last time I expect to see 10,000hr jet captains driving post office vans. It might even be me.

SSTR's are not going to go away. Flying training has become much cheaper in real terms than it was a decade ago and thus the bar has been moved up. You don't believe that but it is true. Over time extra hours and hoops and tests have always been added to the training process. Employers have always expected candidates to pay more and shoulder more risk year on year. The point where decent money is earned is always slightly further away than it used to be.

This is a profession in relative decline.

That's a fact.