PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France Pilot Strike - where's the news?
Old 13th Nov 2008, 21:22
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an aside there is nothing unusual about laws being passed in the middle of the night. I don't think that is a relevant objection.

On the other hand if people can work until 65 if they want to but are not forced to, then I cannot see there will be much sympathy.
Before the amendment was passed..............in the middle of the night without anyone being aware of it and nothing, despite governement reassurances, having been discussed ( I'd say this is very wrong ) AF pilots were considered as being dismissed and walked away with a lump summ equal to about 9 months of the last salary............tax free.
The amendment requilified all this as you would guess as it would have been regarded as a volontary dismissal. All of sudden, because of a very small group, you find yourself having to pay taxes to allow a handfull of guys to carry on til 65 !! Sorry, it's just not on, even if we're not " forced
" to carry on til 65.
From what I heard, offers were made at the last minute to guaranty that nothing would be changed for those chosing to leave at 60. Unfortunatly, this came too late. Even if pilots were showing up for work tommorrow, half the flights have been canceled anyway.
This charade is the whole french government and its croonies responsability. AF had nothing to do with it.
There is a solution to this :
1/ Get a life
2/ Stay married to the same woman

Retirement age for other people was pushed to 70 , on a volontary basis !!! . Do you think people want to work to such a ridiculous age ??? More than 70 % of the poulation is opposed to this.
We should now believe, after decades of social progress that work is " fun " and that we should carry on working instead of travelling and enjoying what's left of life after 30 + years or sometimes much more on a job.
Trillions have been pumped into financial institutions but when it comes to people you're told to work til 70 ??? This is just a bloody farce.