PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for Lear 45 pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2008, 21:10
falcon50flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lear 45 Spoiler SB

Bruce-

I took my initial LR-45 training/type rating at FSI Atlanta in June of this year. We discussed the spoiler retraction issue at some length before and after one of the simulator sessions and we did a demonstration of an asymmetric retraction in the sim. We set up the condition to include a fairly normal decent, about 280KIAS and power to idle with full spoiler deflection. At the point of retaction, the sim. instructor failed one wing spoiler to remain extended while the other retacted. The roll rate is pnenominal!
The procedure that FSI Atlanta teaches is to move the spoiler handle slowly and remain vigilant during any spoiler movement to an uncommanded roll action. If the aircraft rolls, you should move the spoiler handle as neccesary to stop the rolling tendancy (i.e. match the wings spoilers in extension angle) and then recover the aircraft. If you are not fully prepared for this situation, the aircraft may have rotated 2-3 times before you know it and it is very easy to lose pitch control of the aircraft at the same time. The result is a complete upset and overspeed. Definately not good at a relatively low altitude! FSI Atlanta told me that they knew of at least three such occurences, but the crews were able to recover.

As I understand it, FSI in Atlanta and Tucson continue to train for this possibility on the LR-45 because they believe that it is still a possibility, service bulletin or not. Bombardier Dallas does not. While not stated explicitly, the instructors at FSI left me with the impression that they felt Bombardier was not teaching it for "legal reasons", i.e., don't teach a situation that we might then be forced to admit could still happen. As far as Bombardier is concerned, the situation has been rectified. FSI, on the other hand, is not so sure.

I was told by the FSI instructors that there have been no such occasions (that they know of) since this service bulletin was issued. However, I do not recall whether they stated if the SB was manditory or not. (seems like it should be). Nor do we know if this SB was incorporated on this early serial number 45 ( 028). If you know much about the Lear 45, then you know that the number of bulletin's issued on that aircraft have been quite numerous.

I presented this possible scenario not in an effort to besmirch Bombardier or the Lear 45, but rather instead because it fits into the realm of possible explainations, given what information we have. All suggestions as to the potential cause on forums such as this are understood to be merely "armchair speculation" at this point, and will remain only as much until a full investigation is conducted. I'm sure that a few will look upon the outcome of even an official investigation with some suspicion, given the political position of some of the victims.

In the meantime, for those who do wish to speculate, postulations will be fomulated given what is known and what can be deduced given previous experiences. A Lear 45 experiences an upset and loss of control during an approach immediately following a high speed decent and while in trail of a large airliner. A passenger is a high-ranking goverment official instrumental in fighting against ruthless drug-lords. The cause? Unknown as of yet. Speculation? Plenty of room for that.

Last edited by falcon50flyer; 13th Nov 2008 at 21:39.