PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 13th Nov 2008, 20:14
katanapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BugSpeed (and everyone),

Not meaning to p*ss on your fireworks, but unless there has been a dramatic change in the program since last week, I can categorically say that there is NO DEP/SSP recruitment for March start dates. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There are already people who have started with BA but have no actual conversion course date for 2 months, and alleged to be on unpaid leave.

Yes there are A320 courses being run, but solely reserved for evictees of the 737, 747 and a small number of 757/767 people for the time being. The resource plan for 09/10 has not been finally set yet, expect news of it within the next 6 weeks.

Fact: BA have either planned to, or already have, stood down 3 747s, 4 757s 1 767 and 7 737s; 6 new A320s and 4 B777 are due to arrive by next August, with a further 6 B777-300 for FY10/11. These will be one for one replacement for the 747, or expansion aircraft if things settle down.

The plan is, however, very fluid and has a habit of changing. There is a strong rumour that the 767 hull will be staying after all now for example!! If BA had been paying $160 a barrel for oil, then there would most likely be no airline to recruit into!

Once IF the economy settles down (and that is a big IF), BA will be in a position to plan beyond 12 months, until that happens I suspect there will be only a trickle of recruitment, and 99.99% of it will be for the A320 at LHR or LGW for the forseeable future.

Don't get me wrong, I hope your info is true BugSpeed..recruitment can only be good news for you, and current BA pilots.

Hope this is useful to everyone..best wishes and fingers crossed for you.

KP