PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR 72 600 and 900
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2008, 18:31
zedelex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATR72vsQ400

..Sorry, I mixed up the cruising alt. band for the ATR. After double-checking it, I've realised that the ceiling's upto F210. It's good news, because it means all my flightsweill be conducted outside controlled airspace in the cruise (albeit with a FIS service provided by an ATCO to keep my aircraft from bumping into another one).

This means virtually NO enroute fees payable for us, as no ANSP charges are applied for traffic outside of controlled controlled airspace; despite the fact that an ATCO will be providing an Information Service. In this country, the service is excellent, and I'm very confident of my A/C's safety outside Class A.

I'd enquired earlier this week from a friend who is a former Eurocontrol ATCO. He reckons that for a simliar length (350nm) sector in Europe, an acft would have on avg. 15 (fifteen) frequency/ANSP changes..Each time you change ANSP's, a brand-spanking new fee is applied to you. So flying in Europe in terms of NAV is very expensive compared to here, and I think this makes for an even more compelling case for the ATR in Africa.

Your comments are welcome