PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair incident Ciampino.
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2008, 15:46
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my much maligned Post #163 I surmised, not unreasonably I thought, that the gear was in the position it was due to the fact that the pilot might well have initiated the G/A and then found himself with a loss of thrust on the remaining engine, hence the gear selected down in a hurry and the aircraft plonked on the runway without having 3 Green lights.
Having seen the recent photos of the damage to the rear fuselage then I would change my theory to both engines failed within moments of each other, although perhaps still with time enough for the G/A to be initiated, and then the aircraft hit the runway with a fairly low, almost stalling speed and so damaged the rear fuselage and gear on impact. The loss of effective braking with the gear partially collapsed (or perhaps not fully extended), along with no reverse thrust, accounts for the amount of runway used to stop the aircraft. The engine pod would provide almost no friction at all. Light touch with the right brake to keep it straight, well done that man, or woman.

I wonder when the pilots will be paraded for all to gawp at, as per Big Airways?