PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC Simulators - Any Benefit?
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2008, 14:34
tigermagicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my PPL around 21 years ago, did not fly a real aircraft for around 15 years, but did sometimes use Flight Simulator FSX and older versions.

Yes it is correct it can not replace the real thing, as the feel is not there, however for me it has been very usefull, and I also believe it can be good to practise basic learning of instrument approaches, instrument flying, various wind conditions etc.
I also used it to familiarize myself with my local flying area, as I used added on scenery, and I have nothing but praise to say about Microsoft flight sim.

Yes I am going to test and use both Rant XL and Elite flightsimulator, as I have heard these are better to learn real instrument flying.

However I would also set up flights and conditions in FSX, for navigation, instrument flying etc, as it does teach you the basics, and gives confidence when doing it in the real thing.

I did not fly for more than 15 years, went back had 2 hours, and did 10 perfect landings, excerises etc., and I would say all was because of FSX, it really helped me.

It all depends how you see it, see it for what it is, practise basics, forget the BS like landings and the RT there, but navigation, instrument flying, bad weather flying is not that bad. Of course if I was flying a 747, I would not bother looking at FSX either, but until I do, it is not a bad learning tool, if you accept it for what it really is.