PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 320 CB reset guide
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 16:27
Swedish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going through these threads I read of someone admitting to going into the avionics bay and re-racking flight control computers !
Having worked as an ground engineer on the A320 since 1988, I can say that there is no reason to ever rerack a computor on the A320. I very rarely visit the avionics bays (once a year?). But resets of cbs are very effective on the A320. When you reset the cbs, the fault clears, the computor does a power up test, and if it does't pass the defect reappears.
There are only two systems where I downpower the aircraft. One is CIDS, because there are so many cbs it is easy to miss one, the other is GPS. I find GPS cb resets don't work.
One thing to remember is that sometimes the FWCs will store the fault, and may need resetting to erase the cleared fault. These computors have big capacitors in them and the cbs need to be left tripped for SEVEN minutes, a quick reset does nothing at all as the capacitors keep the power on.

By the way other aircraft are different. On the B777, cb resets may clear the defect, but usually the fault remains on the Status page. You have to do the MAT test to clear the message. (and most of the cbs are downstairs)