PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair incident Ciampino.
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 16:20
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PREFIX - Now't to do with Ryanair/CIA.

Hmm.
Originally Posted by Rainboe
Notso!
NB
You have to immediately reconfigure into engine failure
- when the book says 'as a guide' there is no 'have to'. Our treasured OM gives the advice only as a 'guide' and offers no 'advice' on an immediate g/a or one from a CatIII s/e. That is what you and I are paid for.

NB
You................ approach (Flap 15 and add speed) and then decide, continue or go around.
- you have no doubt forgotten much of the 737, but I would have though your decision was pretty well made for you AT the moment of engine failure, IMC, below CatI MDA and single a/p? Indeed our company procedures (which you do have to follow) dictate a g/a. Exactly when are you plannning on making this 'decision' while you drag across the airfield trying to accelerate to V2+20? Why not go up up and away, avoiding the radio masts and control tower?

NB
Why are you flying a 2 engine go around on one engine?
- oh dear. (I actually said 'the same as' not 'I am flying'). Basically because an engine has failed. I would suggest that, unless you are heavily into pedantry, losing an engine in a g/a is not that dissimilar to going around immediately you lose an engine in handling terms? As you can see (from the bit at the top of your quoted page), Boeing designed the speeds for the 737 to cope with a s/e F15 g/a. It's there if you need it.

By the way, if you pop your head into the company library/external publications you may be surprised to see not only can you download the 737 FCTM but also the 757 FCTM

PS I'm with 'gayford' on this one too.