PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High speed stall
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 15:58
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks a lot for the answers so far, I already understand the situation better.
2 remarks :
Re wake turbulence, then normal ATM procedures should take minimise the most severe encounters.
All ‘following traffic’ will have distance margin,
Not at high altitudes. For the moment the curent ICAO recommendations only applies to departure and arrival phases . There are no ATM procedures for wake turbulence separation minima to be applied en route.
( hence our current discussion)

As for business jets, note that they usually have rear engines. While some of them (Jetstar, Falcon, a few others) have +-tails, many have T-tails. A known deep stall hazard, and stick pushers would not have time to react to a sudden updraught.
On the engines : Most VLJs ,but not all, have rear engines, some are single engine, but most are T tailed indeed, but a few are even V tailed..(From my air-force time in the Fouga Magister, I remember that stalling it in a turn resulted always in inverting the aircrfat , but I cannot say this was tail-related, probably not.)
Seen their price tags, I doubt they have stick shakers/pushers.( but I do not know)
The ability /experience of the pilots , as most will be ex- turbo-props light twins owners, is also a worry , but not for this discussion.