PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair incident Ciampino.
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 13:11
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- perhaps worth stating for those who 'hang on your words' that this 'option' only applies following option 2) and that if the '4th option' is exercised - an immediate g/a - the g/a is at F15 at Vref 30/40+5 (=V2 F15) and F1 is ONLY selected at cleanup as per the FCTM (p5.34 in my copy).
BOAC, don't agree. Procedure is not to go-around with flap 15 to clean up altitude on one engine- you might well have trouble with climb rate.
Scenario: approach, Flap 40, 1 engine fails. Retract to Flap 15 (quickly!), Accel to Vref40+20 (which= Vref15+5)
Go around decision.
Go around power on remaining engine, you are now at Vref40+20(=V2 for Flap 1)
Immediately retract to Flap 1 and climb away to clean up altitude.

It's in our Part B 03-18. You become equivalent to a planned S/E approach and the next process is simply a S/E go-around.

It is bewilderingly quick. The problem as you are aware is on one engine you cannot maintain profile with Flap40/gear down heavy. This is probably the reason for recommending go-around rather than simply 'land straight ahead' (much more than a few hundred feet height and you may not even be able to even reach the runway if you are not quick with the flap).

The procedure I have practiced is surprisingly rapid.
'Go around, Flap 15, pos climb, gear up' Full power, Accelerate 20 kts, Flap 1 climb away. You go from Flap 40 to Flap 1 literally in seconds (hence reason for the stops at Flap 15 and Flap 1), and end up climbing away at V2/Flap 1 to AA. Trying to control full asymmetric thrust, horrified that heading has wandered 20 degrees and you are hardly climbing, leg quivering with the effort (well mine does)!

Tremendously entertaining to watch the other guy absolutely sweating when he has to do it. Excellent detail in a cold sim first thing in the morning to warm you up!

Remember these twins are highly powered on 2 engines. On one, life isn't easy, and with flap and gear down, great care has to be exercised with managing energy.

I'm sure Ryanair procedure is totally different!

Last edited by Rainboe; 12th Nov 2008 at 13:25.