PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 11:10
Canada Goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Eye Exam Periodicity ?? What are the Requirements ??

My last eye test was August 2005 and I specifically had it for Class 1 renewal purposes. Since then there has been a change (relaxation) in the eye testing periodicity. My last Class 1 was August 2007 and since I am only really flying GA at present and with no job insight, (in fact, I’m not looking anymore), I am flying on Class 2 privileges. I will have to renew my medical next August but not sure if I will bother with Class 1 or 2 at this moment.

Anyway, to cut to the chase. I want to get a new pair of specs and prescription sun glasses and since my last eye exam was 3 years ago I felt I should have a new one in case the prescription has changed. However, as those who wear glasses know, the CAA want additional info and forms to be filled in, which of course an optician charges more for. Now my question is, given I am now over 40 (42 in Jan 09) is it worth my while (money and hassle) of getting the optician to do these extra tests etc in readiness for my next medical or will it be out of date by the time I need to present my eye test results given the change in the rules.

I’ve tried looking on the back of my medical certificate, in LASORS and on the CAA website but can’t find any definitive info, so can any knowledgeable soul please advise. Thanks for sticking with it and reading my long winded scribe !!

Cheers, CG.