PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground school or Distance learning?
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 10:59
tigermagicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground school or Distance learning?

Having completed my PPL 20 years ago, and let it expire for 15 years, I just finish all my PPL exams in less than 2 months, useing the OAT media, books and CD Rom, which in my opinion was easy to use and learn. And yes I did need to relearn most of the stuff again as my brain had been in temporary lockdown the last 10 years.
The self study route is something I have managed fine on both occasions, now and 20 years ago. On PPL exams had 100% on all subjects except Navigation, because I had not read those last chapters of the 5 extra questions after the Nav Plan, and I just wanted to get it over and done ASP so I could get my PPL back again.

Now starts the challenge for the ATPL studies, I have considerd 2 options, Bristol Groundschool distance learning or London Met. Having browsed trough some of the ATPL books they do look a bit daunting at first, and I do fear self study on some of the subjects, however maybe when gets going it is better.
I have also considerd London Met, as this is closest to where I live, but 9 to 5 structured study time could be bad for my business, as I also run an online business where I get income for living, studies etc., altough sure there could be a way around this if I have to.
How long would one expect to complete the ground studies at London Met? And how long at Bristol Ground School? Working from home makes me have much time for studies etc., does the instruction from classroom help the learning curve faster?
I am a bit insecure which is the best option to choose, having been told by my instructor if possible attending the classroom would be the best option if you can, but like many he could not, and I am not sure if I can either, as my business is very good and will give me the money to get hours, ratings all what I need, in that way it makes more sense to do the distance learning for me, however how good is the bristol GS?

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.