PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Muscat Muscateers
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2008, 03:57
carkiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simulation in life environment

hi folks,

there has been a lengthy discussion about the things that are done and more often not done in Muscat ACC's admin regarding traffic levels, safety, contracts,.....

But i have the impression , now we have reached a new dimension. The are really doing it! For a while it was only a rumor that the admin comes up with a sector split for North. But now they really do it, they are simulating new airspace structure in a live environment. And because some controllers refused to work it, now every morning the chief of ACC himself and/or some of the other office guys sit in position and simulate new procedures in North.

Explanation, i cite:
" we don't have a simulator that can properly reflect the strip board.
And anyway there is no legal requirement to simulate before new structures are implemented.
And we are basing this on our vast experience.
We (the office) sat together and were discussing the risks of doing this, so we even have done a risk analysis.
We don't need to publish anything for this evaluation, because nobody is affected outside of Muscat, we just call UAE and Teheran to use another frequency and that is it.
No there are no new procedures between the new sectors and since we didn't really change the airspace besides splitting it and extending it a bit to the south and the west we don't need a new licensing for it.
The system will not allow a handover/takeover (as is mandatory for the other sectors) until mid next year but we write a hand down item to use caution when operating the sector."

Somehow i'm loosing track here. Is that just me having some idiotic major concerns or is something going horribly wrong here???