PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whiterashes
Thread: Whiterashes
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2008, 16:53
Humaround

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew there in May this year. The details are in the AFE VFR guide - Arthur Simmers is the owner, PM me if you don't have the guide, though I recommend you look at the guide because of the approach procedure.

You need to be clear about this, as the strip is well inside Aberdeen Class D. You need to call Aberdeen app and request the approach you want (there are 2, North and west, and there are landmarks). It will probably be 'not above 1000' QNH ' and as the ground level is around 500' it's quite interesting!

There are 2 strips, 18/36 and 28/10. There are some potholes right in the middle, and I expect the owner will be able to tell you about ground condition when you PPR. I got in and out OK in an RV6 with very low slung spats, but on reflection I was lucky not to damage them.

You are required to phone Aberdeen app to get a departure slot, as radio contact is unreliable on the ground.

I didn't meet Arthur but he was very helpful on the phone, once he was assured that I would be careful to follow the rules. I encountered his lady wife walking her dogs, and she was happy to accept my £5 landing fee - very good value compared with Aberdeen!