PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair incident Ciampino.
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2008, 14:45
The Real Slim Shady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FR 737 Captain.

Lots of speculation here, interspersed with some fact.

What do we know?

Reasonably heavy jet....160 pax + tankering fuel to CIA (SOP) landing weight would be in the order of 63 tonnes. That is based on m knowledge of the fleet weights, our SOP on max tankering fuel on landing and our standard pax and bag weight.

Normal landing at CIA is Flap 40, Autobrake 2 or 3, depending on surface wind and brake cooling requirement.

We don't know when the birdstrike(s) occurred i.e speed, config, height, distance to runway.

We don't know whether the strikes were sequential i.e the intensity increased with time or simultaneous i.e they whole flock struck at once.

We don't know if the crew could see even more birds between them and runway.

We don't know if the engine failed / ran down immediately or "coughed" a few times before it quit.

We do know, however, that the crew were faced with two options - land or go- around.

They were there: their actions were based on processing a vast amount of data in a very short period of time and taking the appropriate corrective action.

They did an excellent job of getting the aircraft on the ground with NO loss of life and minimal injury.

And finally, old mag wossname, applying TOGA thrust to live, retracting the Flap to 15, accelerating to V2 +20 whilst maintaining GP and CL, all the while probably ducking instinctively as the windscreen is peppered with birds is a pretty demanding cardtrick. Deep breath, calm down, be grateful it wasn't you.