PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair incident Ciampino.
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2008, 11:36
uncle_maxwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instrument readings & tapes

For the amateurs/wannabes/non-jet pilots like me, could the seasoned folks explain what typical engine indications one would expect for turbofans after birdstrike or multiple birdstrikes/FOD? (Assuming that you do not see/hear or feel it...)

Also, how likely is it that the fire alarm goes off after a bird strike? My understanding was that latest generation of turbo fans are quite resilient to bird strikes/FOD - are there reported incidents when there was no vibration or significant loss of engine power on turbo-fans after a bird-strike?

Question to the folks that had many bird strikes: Do you generally see them coming and feel/hear the impact or have you had incidents where you only discovered it via instrument readings or on the ground?

Finally, are there any scanning/radio enthusiasts around Rome that may have taped the Tower when this happened? Would be great to listen to it. I think given that no-one got (seriously) hurt and that it seemed to have been very well managed by the crew, Ryanair and aviation authorities should publish CVR/FDR tapes - I am sure there is a lot to learn from them for many a pilot.

Thx for your help!
Uncle Maxwell