PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Know You Are In Africa When.....
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2008, 07:54
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, yesss....

At one point in time Lagos ATC had one radio with a bad transmitter and another radio with a bad receiver.

You would get a call you couldn't read so that you would say, "You are 2 by 2, please try another radio." First problem, the guy on the ground is reading you 5 by 5 so that he thinks "You ah racisst!", dissing the black man's radio.

Finally he switches to a radio that blows your headset off, as if he's sat there on the jumpseat shouting at you. Now HE's 5 by 5 but you are coming in 2 by 2, so that he's telling you to switch to another radio!

That went along for weeks until they finally bothered to believe what everyone was telling them, that they had radio problems. Part of it was expats telling them the transmitter was weak, when they would ask a Nigeria Airways crew, who always told them it was 5 by 5, making some sort of point, I suppose. "My country, my ATC radio,"? No idea, really.

My all-time top favourite was being cleared for the ILS with, "Localiser reported inop, cleared for ILS, report runway in sight." Yeah, three out of four ain't bad, and we still have the GS, the DME and the lights.