PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helios Crash
Thread: Helios Crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2008, 03:15
kotakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all so incredibly sad . The accident so traumatised the entire country , not sure it will ever go away , even if they do prosecute somebody .
All I know is , that if the crew had finally woken up to what the problem was , initiated an emergency descent etc and landed safely , then they would have been held entirely responsible for the event . Performing any checklist wrongly is going to be punished by an inquiry . If the cockpit preparation had been performed correctly , that aircraft would probably still be flying to this day .
Obviously , the crew cannot be disciplined having paid the ultimate price , so it seems that someone else must be held responsible.
I have had dealings with Lasham engineering since it was DanAirs engineering base , subsequently also with Astraeus , and have never had any doubts whatsoever.
As a Captain , whenever I have entered a flight deck and discovered that the aircraft has just left the hangar , I have made sure that the cockpit prep is very thorough indeed. This has even been at some of the worlds major airlines
whose engineering I trust completely - their job is NOT to set up the flight deck for me and my crew , they may have been under commercial pressure to get the aircraft released and back in service , some switches do get missed , packs are off to allow work underneath the aircraft etc . If I have found a switch not in the preflight position I have never made a song and dance about it , it is my responsibility to ensure that it is correct before take-off.
Having heard from various ex-Helios cabin crew about how they were abused by the public in supermarkets etc , while they were still grieving themselves over the loss of colleagues and friends , then I fully expect others will get it in the neck . If this finally brought the episode to a close , I might concur somewhat , but I suspect the mud-slinging will never stop.