PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FIFO Days Numbered
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2008, 02:47
Towering Q
Seasonally Adjusted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So whose going to pay for all those lovely houses and high schools to be put in place, to make it more financially viable for miners to live in these towns?
State Nationals Leader Brendon Grylls and his "Royalties for the Regions" program, that's who.

There was a very good episode of Four Corners a while back that focused on Port Hedland and the many problems caused by FIFO.

BHP's Ravensthorpe Nickel Operations is an interesting one...

"BHP Billiton has committed to a residential workforce for the Operations phase and an estimated 350 project employees and many indirectly employed to support the project, and their families, will become part of the local community."

If I were employed in the Mining Industry, I would be taking up residence in Hopetoun in a flash. 20-30 minutes from work and you can go fishing with the family in the afternoon. Good work-life balance.

We get to the big smoke a couple of times a year, but only for as long as it takes to get the job done and get back out again.
Some good posts there Wiz....I'm with you on this one, great place to visit....cr@p place to live.