PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clearance cancelled once airborne . . . . .
Old 10th Nov 2008, 18:38
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 292 Likes on 186 Posts
Fuji,

Calm down there, mate.

I think that what I wrote is technically correct. No instrument or IMC rating (at least that's what the report said) with the general assumption among posters being that he had a fair amount of experience, based on the fact that a long international flight or series of flights was intended - and that he managed about 90 seconds in IMC without crashing.

I am in no way decrying experience, but the fact is that experience does not of itself confer qualifications or certifications. It makes it far easier to obtain them, of course.

In your medical example, both can have identical qualifications, but one is considerably more experienced than the other. No argument with that. But please accept that there is a difference between experience and an actual qualification / certification. 15 years experience (hopefully of successful operations) may give patients a warm feeling as they pay top whack, but it doesn't actually put any more letters after the surgeon's name.

As to missing the point - well I thought it was about the pilot being put by ATC into a situation beyond the remit of his license that could (depending on his experience) have also been beyond his ability to safely complete the flight.

SD