PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Lynx??
Thread: Future Lynx??
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2008, 17:34
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regards to Future Lynx and the requirement process etc, can someone (with a bit of Main Building/Procurement nounce) help me out please.

I am struggling to reconcile why the Army Air Corps/Defence believes that it needs BRH with a Find/ISTAR capability when it has 20 (ish?) brand new shiney AH in various states of repair/serviceability in various locations around the UK? By all accounts AH has a superb Find capability, low risk, proven technology etc, and yet despite not being able to afford the spares and TLS of AH we (UK MoD PLc) decide to spend more money on another aircraft type to provide the same capability that AH already does.

Agreed the Fisheads need a replacement aircraft and maybe 847 NAS (as the chances of obtaining an Army Air Corps amphibious AH Sqn have been proven to be but a dream). Therefore 847 could have the same aircraft that the RN Lynx, but optimise it for Littoral Operations.

As I am from the light blue I am not trying to play inter service politicis but purely reconcile why the Army Air Corps wants more aircraft for a perceived capability gap when it already has numerous aircraft in storage that could be employed to fill the gap and at the same time free up airframes for where the genuine capability gaps exist (e.g. Rotary Find/Strike from the sea in the Littoral environment?).

If I had ten new cars in my garage at home I would sort them out first and get them on the road before going shopping for 20 more new cars for a job that my original 10 cars would have easily delivered.

What am I missing?