PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair incident Ciampino.
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2008, 16:39
BottyTotty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Window - is likely to assess the damage, the first visual indication the Captain will get of what the damage is.

I notice a few comments, based purely on the speculation, that one engine sufferend bird ingestion, then a missed approach was initiated then aborted after second engine suffered ingestion. Just assuming, and this is mere speculation, that this was the case, I have seen 3 people comment, "well I would have just landed it after first engine suffered problems".

Well you wouldn't, people follow SOP's.

The Boeing flight crew training manual says, that in the event of an engine failure on final approach, you may continue or go-around, to continue you must first have full control of the aircaft and assuming you do, which is no mean feet in the final few hundred feet, you will now be back at approach speed (Vfly) for flap 30 or 40 you must fly at least Vref + 20 kts. You would also need now to be damn sure your aircraft could now land within the runway length available. and Ciampinio is not the longest.

In Ryanair, crews are taught to go-around with a single engine malfuntion, to deal with the issue, to assess all information, landing distance and then to set up for a single engine (flap15) landing. this would be a non event and is trained by crews repeatedly.

This with a single engine failure is the safest course of action.

now again, this based purely on assumptions made of actual events on this site.

But if first engine ingested birds and failed, then crew followed safest course of action in that split second by initiating go-around, after second engine strike they again followed safest and now only course of action in sticking it on ground.

If all this rumour, is true then Double engine trouble on a twin on short finals is not a place you want to be and getting out at all is a job well done.