PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beware landing at Farnborough
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2008, 15:22
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMS

You make a very valid point. If I was running Farnborough I would probably charge close on "as much as I could get away with".

That is just about the same for any business operating in a free market.

Returning to my orginal analogy if you were running a supermarket and operated the only chain in the country we all know what would happen to prices. If there are four major players in the business the temptation for them to get together and rig the price is a constant danger to the consumer. If there are ten the consumer is probably on to a good thing.

All basic economics of course.

I was perhaps a little tongue in cheek advancing an alternative position.

However .. .. ..

Airports in this country are a bit different. The majority of larger airports dont actually operate in a free market. BAA control many of the major airports. Rightly they have been forced to sell off Gatwick because of the concerns expressed about the way they operate. NATS, however you want to argue the corporate structure, own both the division concerned with airspace and the divsion concerned with providing air traffic services at many of our larger airports - including Farnborough to whom they are contracted. NATS are a monopoly bailed out by the taxpayer when they nearly went bust and nearly owned in the majority by the taxpayer (49%).

Airports with an ILS are licensed by the CAA and in the case of Farnborough use nearly majority government owned agency to provide air traffic services (albeit I appreciate on commercial terms). In short in a country in which particularly in the south, land for airports is in short supply and is in any event fiercely controlled by enviromental concerns there may be an argument that charges and access should be regulated so supply is available to all.

If you take the free market argument to its logical conclusion in the south east of England you will end up with not a single airport where a light aircraft can expect to be able to fly an ILS for less than £100 and possibly a lot more. We are not too far removed form that scenario already.

Around the south of London the only airports available with an ILS are Gatwick, Heathrow, Biggin, Farnborough and Southampton. (I have exlcuded form the list Manston, Lydd and Southend which are all in the back of beyond!). As we all know the approaches vary and as we also all know the direction of the approach can be far more critical for light aircraft so the list can end up being very small.

Ultimately that can result in light aircraft being effectively denied access to any airport with an approach in this part of the country.

So what I hear you say - light aircraft pilots should not be setting off in these conditions.

Well of course that is why light aircraft will never become a realistic means of transport in this country. It is also why fewer commercial pilots will train in this country - why would you when you can go to Spain or the States and get the job done for half the price.

Ultimately of course it is GA that suffers.

I recall when Bournemouth hiked up their prices and effectively excluded GA. Unfortunately they did so at about the same time as the last recession. As CAT traffic declined of course they were anxious to welcome back GA - the damage was done and it took a long time before the traffic came back at significantly lower prices.

Southampton was a vibrant home for GA - now it has all but gone. I go there often. It is worth taking a few minutes to survey the acres of unused concrete - despite what they would tell you. Ah yes, and then there is the traffic argument. However you will never have a problem booking a slot and parking with the handlers.

I even recall when I started flying you could do T and Gs at Gatwick. When I was there earlier this year it was as quite as a church hall around midday - as is often the case. Again, it was revealing to survey the acres of concrete that were unoccupied - all sorts of acres where a dedicated GA parking area could be provided. Of course the reality is they dont want you. Moreover, to be fair during their peek times GA would be a nuisance. Even more worrying is they have done such a good pa job of telling everyone how busy they are and how little space thay have that most GA pilots actually believe this to be true.

So, unless I am very much mistaken, Farnborough is no where close to its capacity in terms of parking or slots. It may well be close to its capacity in terms of the number of slots given - I dont have the figures.

However, the fact remains if matters continue as they are the vast majority of GA pilots will have to think thrice about landing at any of the airports with an ILS approach in the south east of England before long not because the price is high (I go to Newquay regularly and do not object to paying their fees for approach and parking) but because it is unreasonably high, or, they have simply been banned altogether however fat their wallet might be.

That will be a shame for GA - but what do I care?