PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ADSB
Thread: Merged: ADSB
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2008, 12:07
Whiskey Oscar Golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to get involved in the tete a tete gentlemen but I'm a bit confused. As someone who uses ADSB In every day I'm wondering what exactly the problem is. Someone has evolved a new technology that uses the best of several older systems, makes it smaller, hopefully affordable, hopefully subsidised and increases coverage over a much wider area over our large brown land. Where is the problem?

Is it because it will increase the visibility of all aircraft with the units fitted?

Is it because it will reduce the capital costs of dated infrastructure?

Is it because more aerodromes will be safer in the circuit due to the visibility of aircraft from both ATC and other aircraft?

Is it because aircraft will be able to get more data on what other aircraft are doing with audible and visible alarms.

Is it because search and rescue will be significantly enhanced with the increased visibility from both aircraft and ATC?

Is it because VFR aircraft can be fitted with a funky new display that does many more things than just show your track at a reduced price because the industry feels it would be safer for all if you can be seen a new way electronically?

Is it because you use the politics of fear of guided missile accuracy of 0.5m, which I can do pretty easily now without the need for an encrypted ADSB unit, using off the shelf items that I won't tell you how but believe me can be done?

Is it because we'll be able to possibly send and receive more than just position/alt/speed/trend/ID/destination, maybe things like wx and safety alerts as well?

Is it because it will cost about 2 100hrlys on a standard twin for the install?

Or is it because it's new and we should always be scared of new things?

Can someone please show me what I'm missing?