PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ADSB
Thread: Merged: ADSB
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2008, 02:33
PlankBlender

Jet, the proposal would include much more than 50% of the flying fleet, if I understand the proposal document correctly, with VFR aircraft being added over time. Where do you get your figure from?

My decision to own an aeroplane is based mainly on a sound business case for reducing cost of professional pilot training, not on having an expensive and prestigious toy at my disposal.

Where wealth entered this discussion, I am really not sure. If you want to go down that way, you might want to consider that aircraft owners and operators are contributing extra taxes to the government coffers to the tune of dozens of millions of dollars every year in AsA profits

The subsidy makes sense in that it's a win-win for AsA and aircraft operators, the former getting rid of outdated, expensive to maintain radar technology, and the latter gaining a vast improvement in safety. What costs are you talking about, anyway? The proposed subsidy and the avionics being developed in Australia at the moment would ensure a cost neutral (and largely maintenance free) install for owners.