PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interview at the IAANZ in Christchurch New Zealand
Old 9th Nov 2008, 16:29
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"willing to be a turboprop first officer and learn the hard way" I was kind of waiting for that!

This is really really fundamentally important to understand 772930, so listen up.

Nothing against IAANZ - in fact I fully admit I haven't flown in NZ since the 90s and I'm a few years uncurrent on anything with propellors - but my beef is a more general one directed at ALL the big schools and what they fail to tell you, is that in the Oz/NZ market even the poxiest right seat of the poxiest little turboprop is many years away from you even AFTER you finish flying school.

You have to come up with a plan that's going to give you the highest chance of getting some kind of hours - ANY hours - when you are a brand new 200 hour CPL. The percentage of people who complete training at a big sausage factory school and then drop out of the race, is much much higher, for the simple reason that the good entry-level GA jobs have all been grabbed by people who bought their training at said GA operation, or at least been busy buying beers for the boss and sweeping his hangar floor while they completed their CPL training elsewhere.

A lot of these big schools bang on and on about their superior quality "airline oriented" training which is all well and good to a point, but all the flash simulators and uniforms and new aircraft and the best and most expensive training in the world won't help you when you have 200 hours, you're 9 months uncurrent from flying and you're on the dole. Especially when you see the guy in shorts and T shirt who trained at the crappy prefabricated hut across the other side of the airfield, and he's all of a sudden filling up his logbook with quality hours.

When you're choosing a school it is so so so important to think beyond the actual training, and go for a place that has an associated commercial operation, whether it's air taxi or charter or ambulance or skydiving or banner towing or bank runs or microlight / recreational PPL instructing, I could go on for ages there's so much flying out there if you think about it, you have to go and train at a place like that, and then make bloody sure that at the completion of your training you'll be the next cab off the rank for some of those hours. Obviously multi engine commercial work is the holy grail but you have to get those first thousand hours by any way shape or form you find them, and then doors will start to open.

I freely admit I didn't follow my own advice when I trained (went to a now-defunct sausage factory school in Ardmore) and I reckon now, with the benefit of hindsight, doing it the way I did and grinding out the hours with my C-cat rating and a few "trial lessons" a week, must have set me back 3 to 4 years before I got my entry level airline job compared to the guys who were out there in the regions ripping into the single-piston charter work as soon as they were qualified.

If you don't believe me then go stick your head into any crew room of any regional airline in oz or nz, and ask the first bunch of pilots you see, how many hours they had when they got their first kerosene burning job, what they did when they first left flying school, and what they recommend as the fastest way to get into their seats.