PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL/NPPL medicals after cardio vascular treatment
Old 9th Nov 2008, 14:06
AMEandPPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face a little clarification . . . . . .

I, too, am sorry to hear of your predicament . . . . everyday stuff in my job I'm afraid !

But the bit that surprises me is
Indeed I have regained a class 1 medical (with a proximity endorsement) for work, but I know that the CAA medical branch are reluctant to issue a class 2 for a PPL
How do you know that ? Has it actually been stated ?

My experience ( AME = 23 years) is that once the kind folk at the "Belgrano" are persuaded that any kind of professional class 1 certification can be re-considered, albeit with a "non-solo" limitation, then they are USUALLY willing also to consider the issue of an unrestricted JAR class 2 for recreational flying. There may, of course, be individual reasons why that is not the case.

The "non-solo" limitations are different on UK and JAR certificates. For pilots, on a JAR class 1 medical, the limitation is "OML" (= Operational Multicrew Limitation); for ATCO's, on a UK class 1 medical, it's a "proximity" endorsement, as you mentioned. Same thing in principle.

Might be worth while asking the Medical Dept (politely !) about the possibility of a recreational JAR class 2. Good luck !