PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Navigating Flight Preperation
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2008, 14:01
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Technique

Quick edit note: All references are to the plates becoming effective 20 NOV 08.

Hi everybody,

With reference to the Perth RWY 03 ILS/LOC-Y and ILS/LOC-Z approach plates (-Y refers to using the DME from PH ILS and -Z refers to using DME from the IPN LOC) am I correct in assuming that there is no instruction as to which plate to use other than simply to join the 03 ILS? Without an approved GPS they'd have to know that I had more than one DME receiver onboard.

So if an aeroplane is equipped with only one DME receiver (the VOR/ILS) how does the pilot fly the Alice Springs ILS RWY 12 as the only DME I can see is paired with the VOR? (See the lack of a DME listed in the IAS LOC freq box.) How does this relate to the "NAVAID RQ: DME (LOC ONLY)" note at top right?

Also with the Alice Springs approach there is a note:

FROM VOR/NDB, INTERCEPT & TRACK LOC 295deg OUTBOUND. 30 SEC AFTER CROSSING GP COMMENCE PROC TURN.
. Assuming that GP is for Glide Path (AIP GEN 2.2); that is a cool procedure!

OK lastly to my problem of intercepting the LOC from a DME Arc at a reasonable DME dist without using the ADF (recently attempting it on MS Flight Sim). Looking at the PH ILS RWY 24 plate if joining from the 10 DME Arc the Lead Radial is 073deg PH (the LOC azimuth is 240 the reverse of which is 060). Flying it in a Baron (PERF CAT B) I tend to either fly right through full scale deflection on the LOC or to turn too early/too sharply that when I finally get to the LOC the GS is well below me (couldn't descend below 2500 so must intercept no closer than 8.6 DME). From my training I remember hearing that the Lead Radial was designed for AC with a much larger turning radius but I can't seem to recall the trick we were taught to get it right.

Cheers,

~FRQ CB

Last edited by FRQ Charlie Bravo; 9th Nov 2008 at 14:04. Reason: Add clarification on chart dates