PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2008, 20:05
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FE Hoppy, bubbers44, Philipat - re:
They payed lips service to a checklist designed to catch their previous mistake.
That the crew screwed up is plainly obvious and tells us nothing new nor does it inform anyone about how to prevent the next human error. If that's all there was to this accident, the thread could have finished on page 1, liberal loads of kapoc notwithstanding. The question begged however, is "Is that all there is to this accident - the crew screwed up, end of story?"

Perhaps I have misunderstood your intent: Do you consider the broad input from those discussing safety factors, safety (preventative) programs, system design features, safety cultures, interpretations of MELs and last of all what crews themselves could have done to prevent this and at least three other accidents of the same cause (plus 55 reported incidents in which the airplane did not crash) all as unnecessary, superfluous and irrelevant to causes and that discussion should have stopped with the above statement of fact?

If so, then how does Philpat's entreaty to "fix - this", a statement with which I'm sure we all agree, get actioned once and for all? Much as we all would like it, crews (pilots/maintenance) can't be just told/implored to "follow SOPs" and that's the end of it. I know from previous posts you don't dismiss investigation or safety programs, so what am I missing?

Last edited by PJ2; 9th Nov 2008 at 16:44.