PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wake Turbulence - Did you know...?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2008, 16:17
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to AMEX -

How do I know the MD-11 is not 1 dot above G/S...?
xxx
Good question. Beware that even though I fly an old whale 747-200, following another heavy, anything 1011, MD-11, 777, is a concern even for a 747. Being in the wake of these guys, is not comfortable.
xxx
I fly generally to Barajas or Fiumicino. You know their ATC does not always provide adequate separation, their thought is that a 747 "can handle any wake turbulence better than any smaller airplane"... So they seem not to be too concerned. It has spilled my last before-landing-expresso occasionally.
xxx
I will never deliberately fly above a G/S without reason, if no "heavy traffic" in front of me. My own "manual approach" (for practice many of you seem to deny me) standards is "ON G/S, up to 1/2 dot above" as personal limit. But if I follow a pair of heavies, I often suspect one might be himself above G/S, if wind is rather calm, in ideal visual conditions and long runway.
xxx
A word also, is "how long the runway". If I think of a 12,000 ft runway as extremely long and far from limiting for my 747, it certainly is for you in a small private jet. I wrote this thread primarily for pilots of smaller airplanes, and as a courtesy for your passengers.
xxx
If BA 038 had been above the G/S when landing at EGLL, they might still have G-YMMM flying revenue. Lucky these guys made it, I admire the outcome of the way they handled the situation.
xxx
A last word from this "old fart" - when I fly, say to a 5,000 runway in my little Piper L-21, how come I do not try to touch down 300 feet behind the threshold... And why is it that my dentist friend retracts his gear of his Marchetti SF-260 right after takeoff, when he still has 3 or 4,000 feet left to land (engine failure) in front of him...
xxx
Let's be practical, friends... as circumstances dictate.
SOPs are to be adapted when required. Spells "airmanship"...

Happy contrails