PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2008, 12:43
bsieker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atceng, thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by atceng
They seem to have switched off a power supply ONE of the functions of which was to supply the rat probe heating.
They appear to have failed to consider the effect of loss of power to the other systems powered by the same supply,or considered that the lack of power to these systems did not constitute a MEL .infringement.
Interesting. I'd like to know where this information comes from.

To clarify:

In the MD80 flight manual that I have seen, the RAT probe heater has a dedicated circuit breaker, called "Z29".

The problem is not that disabling the heater also disabled other systems (for all I know it didn't), but that the fact that the heating was operating on the ground was a symptom of something else wrong. And this "something else", most likely a failed relay, also influenced other systems. Most importantly it inhibited the Takeoff Warning System.

It's all in my graph. Some further information is buried in the annotations in the "Factor list Details". The annotations help clarify a lot of the factors in the graph, but were left out of the graph proper in order to limit its size.

Although the CIAIAC preliminary report wasn't quite on time, nor is it the best preliminary report I've seen so far, I still assume, also taking into account justme69's take on it, that the information it contains is established beyond reasonable doubt:

Originally Posted by CIAIAC preliminary report
[...] opened the electrical circuit breaker that connected the heating element.

Bernd