PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL/NPPL medicals after cardio vascular treatment
Old 8th Nov 2008, 11:12
Hants Eaglet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL/NPPL medicals after cardio vascular treatment

Anybody out there who has had a similar experience to me, or can offer a bit of advice, before I embark on a battle with the medics?

Background:

Out of the blue a couple of years ago, a few weeks after passing an ATCO's unlimited Class 1 medical, I got angina (say's something for the predictive ability of the aeronautical medical examination!).

CAA medical branch immediately pulled my ATCO licence and PPL. I was subsequently very succesfully treated by stenting to widen a blocked artery and, following numerous tests (stress ECGs, cardiac ultrasounds, blood tests etc.), my cardiologist says that the blood supply to my heart is fine. I no longer suffer from angina. Also I'm on all the usual preventative medications and have taken lifestyle measures to try to ensure no recurrence. I feel far better protected and monitored now than I ever was when I had a full class 1 and, apart from minor, but annoying, drug side effect problems, I feel as fit as a fiddle - with low cholesterol, which was never monitored before by the CAA! I have a pretty active lifestyle too.

Indeed I have regained a class 1 medical (with a proximity endorsement) for work, but I know that the CAA medical branch are reluctant to issue a class 2 for a PPL. Consequently I'm flying on a class 1 NPPL (no non pilot passengers), my GP issued the medical certificate soon after my treatment after taking advice from the anonymous NPPL medical advisor.

I would rather like to be able to take passengers again, as flying alone most of the time can be a bit tedious. Looking at the PPL/NPPL cardiac protocols I'm sure I satisfy the requirements for at least a class 2 NPPL, if not a PPL.

From the experience of nearly 40 years in aviation I know that the CAA medics are a rather cautious bunch, perhaps not unreasonably, and that GPs signing pilot medicals don't really have a clue, but seem to be scared of the consequences of signing anybody off who hasn't got apparently perfect health.

Before I go in with all guns blazing, knowing that all the cards are on the doctors' side, is there anybody out there who has ploughed this furrow before and could offer me some advice and/or encouragement? Anybody out there who has experience of the CAA medics' attitude towards stents (as opposed to full bypass surgery)? Should I go to an AME for a med cert rather than my GP?

Also anybody know anything about the medical certificate requirements for the US LSA licence? I used to fly over there quite a lot and would like to do so again.

Thanks everybody.