PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ADSB
Thread: Merged: ADSB
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2008, 23:53
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick

As a child I loved fairytales, as an adult I have grown out of them.

There is no ADSB "in" unit anywhere in the world that gives a Resolution Advisory
And see and be seen DOES give a RA based on your logic?

A unit that provides an audio alert - e.g. traffic 3 o'clock high - does not fit into your version of safety? Did we not have a fatal at MB only recently?

ADS-B allows pilots to control their risk. I knows this goes against your philosophy that your hand must be held by ATC, but there are lots of places outside and inside ATC cover that ALERTED (by ADS-B IN) see and be seen would have averted crashes. Not to include ADS-B on the ground.

And this is a gem
Qantas will not be mentioned but many will know who vetoed the proposal
From the ABIT site that Bing so astutely pointed out to us - some extracts of the June 2008 Minutes:

Nick King clarified that committing to Phase 1 is agreeing by September to go ahead with the ADS-B mandate equivalent to the current transponder requirement, subsidies and back up network.

John Crane said that there are statements in the Issues Paper suggesting Australia does not have a strategic plan for aviation. This is untrue. The ASTRA ATM Strategic Plan has been followed for a number of years and ICAO/IATA have even used this plan as a template for their own strategic planning. Further, the meeting has just accepted the proposal to split the work of the ATLAS Project into 2 phases and commence work on Phase 1 as soon as possible. This, of course, will be predicated on the Minister’s approval. If the Minister does not approve the implementation of the project prior to the window of opportunity closing resulting the in the replacement of radars becoming necessary, will industry still be required to pay for it and if so, why, when we have agreed to proceeding with ATLAS?

David Oliver endorsed John Crane’s comments. For the last 2 years, industry has been fully behind the proposals presented today. If this opportunity is missed, it will be 20 years before the technology can be embraced and implemented. To do nothing is to crucify the aviation industry in this country. David Oliver requested that these comments and sentiments be taken back to the Minister. Jim Wolfe agreed to do so.

Attendees list extract:
John Crane, VB
David Oliver, Qantas Airways

Sole Action Item:
Jim Wolfe : Take back Qantas & Virgin comments and sentiments to the Minister.

Dick, that reads to ME that QF and VB are supporting the cross industry funding. What book is your fairytale coming from?